Monday, August 22, 2011

MONDAY MOTIVATION - Friends Along the Way

Guest Blog Post: I'm excited to share this guest post, written by my friend, and fellow Lifting Hearts Board member, Colette Harris. Enjoy...

"During my journey with breast cancer I have made many friends along the way. Little did I realize that a park near my home would become one of them. I remember the first couple of days after my diagnosis. I was stunned. I kept asking myself, “How could this happen to me? Where do I go from here?” With a heavy heart, I decided to take my troubles to the park. Tears flowed down my face and splashed to the ground. The sun-warmed walking path graciously absorbed them and accepted them as her own. As time passed, one lap around the park became two, then three. A gentle breeze eventually dried all of my tears and the song of a bird lifted my heart. My fear was replaced with peace, and somehow I knew that I would be okay.

I didn’t visit my park for many months after my bilateral mastectomy and treatments. My last four chemo treatments were rough. Neuropathy set in and walking was a struggle. My feet were numb and my legs felt limp. I could only walk a few steps without feeling like I would fall. The little fish named Dory in the movie Finding Nemo became my hero. Her motto was “Just keep swimming; just keep swimming.” I decided that my new motto would be “Just keep moving; just keep moving.” I was determined to do whatever it took to get my legs back under me. Family members helped steady me as I attempted to walk around the block. Even with their assistance, I could only walk to the end of the street before my legs gave out. I told them I was thinking of getting a cane. That way I could practice walking on my own without having to rely on them. My daughter had a brilliant idea. She mentioned that she wanted to get into better shape after having her first baby. She suggested that I push her baby in its stroller at the park while she ran. That way she would have someone to watch her baby and I would have something to lean on while I walked. It was a win – win situation for both of us.

I was excited to once again visit my old friend, Bonneville Park. Feeling the sun on my face, hearing the laughter of children playing while pushing my beautiful granddaughter in her stroller was very therapeutic. Each week was a new victory. I cheered when I could push the stroller one lap around the park without my legs giving out. In time, it was two laps, then three. My legs were getting stronger and I could walk further without feeling like I would fall.

After several weeks of pushing my granddaughter in her stroller, I tried to walk one lap around the park without any assistance. This time, it was tears of joy that streamed from my face and splashed to the ground. Once again, the sun-warmed walking path lovingly absorbed them and shared my private victory with me.

It has now been 2 ½ years since I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I still have neuropathy, but my legs are much stronger, thanks to Bonneville Park. Last week I cheered when I walked two miles around the park without my legs giving out. Hooray! I am trying to walk six days a week. By the end of September, I hope to be able to walk three miles so I can finally walk in a 5K in October for breast cancer awareness month. There is a Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk October, 8th. I hope to participate. (It would be awesome if our support group could form a team and walk with me!) Thank you Bonneville Park, you have been a true friend on my road to recovery.

Post Script: August 11, 2011 was a very special day for me. That was the day that so many of you awesome survivors and your families came to my park, Bonneville Park, for our Lifting Hearts picnic. Who would have guessed that a little over a year ago we were complete strangers and now you have become such dear friends. Thank you for sharing your journey with me. It has been so much fun interacting with you at our support group meetings every month. You are like sisters to me and I love each of you. Now as I walk around the park, my mind is flooded with many wonderful memories of our evening together. Thank you for being a part of my life. Thank you for helping me feel whole.

-Colette Harris
Survivor
Member of Lifting Hearts
Director of Programming (on the Board of Lifting Hearts)
Guest Blogger

1 comment:

Kristen Dastrup said...

My mother (Colette Harris) is a great inspiration to me. I'm glad I could assist you in your recovery as you assisted me in getting back in shape mom. I love you so much. Now that Connie is getting back into school if you need a walking buddy I would be happy to go with you. Thanks to all of the ladies who have befriended my mother and supported her during her cancer. I know that she loves each of you.

Labels

15th (5) 5k (4) Abundance (1) Activity (3) Adversity (1) Advertising (1) Aerobics (1) After Cancer (3) Almonds (1) American Cancer Society (2) Angels (2) Anger (1) Apples (1) Art Journaling (1) Attitude (2) Back to Normal (2) Basic Cancer Information (1) Bath (1) Beans (1) Beauty (5) Becoming (3) Becoming Christlike (2) Being Happy (5) Being Nice (1) Beyond Cancer (1) Biking (1) Blessings (5) Blogging (3) Board (1) Books (3) Boots (1) Bosom Buddies (2) Bras (4) Bravery (1) Bread (3) Breakfast (4) Breast Cancer (7) Breast cancer awareness month (3) Breast Cancer Sisterhood (1) Breast Cancer Support (2) Breast Cancer Website (1) Breast Self Exam (7) Breathing (2) Brenda Coffee (4) Bucket List (1) Busy (3) Cake (1) Calendar items (1) Calm (2) Cancer (1) Cancer Deadline (1) Cancer Journey (28) Cancer Side Effects (5) Cancer Tips (4) Cancer Words (2) Carrots (1) Casts (1) Challenges (3) Changes (2) Character (6) Charity (1) Check Ups (1) Cheese (2) chemo (7) Chemo Blankets (1) Chemo Tips (1) Chicken (9) Children (2) Chocolate (4) Choices (2) Christmas (11) Cleaning (3) Colette Harris (2) Comfort (2) Compassion (2) Concert (2) Contentment (2) Contributing (2) Cookies (2) Coping (3) Cosmetics (2) Countdown (1) Courage (9) Curable (1) Dariy (1) DCIS (2) Death (4) Dedication (1) Desserts (5) Determination (2) Diagnosis (1) diet (1) Dips (2) Discipline (1) Doctors (2) Dr. Tittensor (2) Drinks (3) DVD (1) Dying (1) Eagle Project (1) Early Detection (1) Eating Out (1) Egg (1) Eggs (3) Emotional (1) Emotions (1) Encouragement (1) Enduring to the End (1) Energy (2) Enery (1) Enjoy (1) Enriching Lives (3) Events (1) Exercise (23) Exercise Equipment (2) Exercises (1) Expanders (1) Eye Pillows (1) Eyebrows (1) facebook (1) Faith (3) Family (5) Fathers (1) Fatigue (1) Fears (3) Feeling Better (1) Finances (1) Flowers (2) Food (1) Forbes Magazine Article (1) Fresh Start (1) Friday Fare (57) Friendship (4) Fruit (10) Fruits (4) Fundraising (5) Games (1) General (3) General Announcements (18) Generosity (1) gifts (3) Ginger Johnson (1) Give-aways (1) Giving (2) Goals (4) God (7) Good Day (1) Grace (1) Grains (2) Grandma (1) Gratitude (8) Greek (1) Green (1) Grief (2) Grilling (3) Growing (1) Guest Post (32) Guidelines (1) Hair Loss (7) Happiness (2) Happy Chemo (2) Happy Memories (2) Hats (2) Having Cancer (1) Healing (7) Healthy (4) Healthy Eating (21) Healthy Recipes (42) Healthy Tips (4) Heaven (1) Help (1) Helpful Products (3) Helpful Websites (15) Helping Others (10) Holidays (8) Home (1) Hope (6) Hope Chests (1) Hummus (1) Huntsman (1) Imperfection (1) Implants (1) Improving (1) Incredible Women (4) Inspiration (1) Integrity (1) Italian (1) Jewelry (3) Journaling (2) Joy (1) Kabobs (1) Kathy Christensen (90) Keeping Records (1) Kidney Beans (1) kids (1) Kindness (5) Komen (2) Lance Armstrong (2) Learning (1) Life Changing (1) Lifting Hearts (6) Lifting Hearts Birthday Party (2) Lifting Hearts in Utah (1) Lifting Hearts in Utah 5K (1) Listening (1) Livestrong (1) Look Good Feel Better (1) Loss (1) Love (11) Luau (2) Lunch (1) Lymphedema (1) Lymphedema Pillows (1) Mammograms (5) mastectomy (6) Medical Bills (1) Medications (1) Medicinal Side Effects (1) Meditation (1) Memories (1) Mentoring (4) Miche (2) Milk (1) Monday Memoirs (44) Monday Mentionables (12) Monday Motivation (29) Monday Musings (1) Motherhood (2) Mothers (1) Mountains for Mammograms (2) Mourning (1) Muscle Aches (1) Music (4) Nails (1) Nausea (1) New Year's Resolutions (2) News (2) Nighttime (1) Nioxin (1) Nordstroms (1) Norman Vincent Peale (1) Nurture Yourself (2) Nurturing Yourself (2) nutrition (1) Nuts (1) Nuture Yourself (1) Oatmeal (1) Obesity (1) October (2) Opportunities (1) Optimism (2) Organization (2) Pain (1) Pampering (2) Party (3) Pasta (8) Patience (5) Peace (4) Peace of Mind (1) Perfection (1) Persistence (1) Pictures (4) Pie (1) Pilates (2) Pink (10) Pink Planner (1) Play (1) Portion Control (1) Positive Thinking (2) Prayer (1) Pre-Cancer Self (1) Prevention (1) Privacy (1) Progression (1) Pumpkin (1) Purse (2) Quotes (4) Race (1) Rack Pack (2) Radiation (1) Reading (1) Recipe Re-Do (2) Recipes (1) reconstruction (4) Recovery (11) Recurrence (1) Reducing Your Risk (1) Reflection (4) Relax (5) Relief (1) Reminder (5) Research (1) Rest (1) Retreats (2) Rice (1) Rice Bags (1) Risk Factors (1) Running (3) Salad (9) Salmon (1) Sandwich (2) Sara Peck (1) Saturday Strength (18) Sausage (1) Scars (2) Schedule (1) Seasons (1) Self Breast Exam (1) Seniors (1) Service (9) Service Projects (6) Services and Programs (1) Sharing Wisdom (1) Shop (1) Sick (3) Side Dishes (1) Silence (1) Sister Survivors (4) Skin Care (3) Sleep (1) Slowing Down (5) Smell (1) Smoothie (2) Snacks (1) Song (1) Soreness (1) Soup (3) Soy (1) Spinach (2) Spiritual (1) Spiritual Health (1) Spiritual Values (1) Spotlight (2) Spring (2) Springtime Recipes (1) Starting Over (1) Stories (1) Storms (2) Strawberries (1) Strength (12) Strength Training (1) Stress (6) Stretching (1) Strong Saturday (6) Style (1) Super Foods (9) Support (11) Support Groups (7) Support Meetings (21) Surgery Tips (4) Survivors (15) Survivors Library (1) Swimming (1) Take Time (2) Talents (1) Tamoxifen (1) Temperance (1) Thankfulness (2) Thriving (1) Thursday Thoughts (123) Time (4) Tips (3) TLC (1) Toning (1) Tranquility (1) Treatments (1) Trials (3) Tuesday Tidings (56) Tuesday Tips (27) Turkey (2) Twitter (1) University of Utah (1) Utah (1) Values (1) Vegetarian (1) Veggies (18) Videos (5) Vitamins (1) Walking (9) Walmart (1) Water (3) Weathered (1) Website (1) Websites (1) Weight Lifting (2) Weight Loss (4) Wife (1) Wigs (1) Wisdom (1) Women's Expo (2) Wordless Wednesday (76) Work (1) Writing (1) Writing Your Cancer Story (30) Yard Sale (4) Zumba (1)