Thursday, April 12, 2012

THURSDAY THOUGHTS - The Last Turn in My Life's Road Will Be The Best!

Guest Post -

Last Wednesday I left our home earlier than usual so I could make it on time to my yearly check up with my doctor. I rushed in after parking the car, looked at the clock which said 7:40, breathed a sigh of relief that I was on time, plopped in a chair and grabbed a magazine. As I began to read, a woman caught my eye as she does each time I come into the office. I would say she is 70-75 years old with glasses, white curly hair, a few well placed character lines and a smile she shared generously with each patient she checked in. She was proficient with all of the computer commands, a skill which required effort to master for those of us who didn't grow up with computers. She reminded me of a quote I heard years ago, although I can't remember where: "A smile is a light in the window of your face that shows the heart is at home." Her heart was definitely at home and she possessed a simple beauty that can't be bought at any price; it is earned by a life well lived. To me she was more beautiful than the emaciated models we see at every turn these days.

Being one of those people who enjoys working, I loved that fact that she was still in the work force and contributing in a productive way. Her name is Jo and I told her in all earnestness, "You are my hero. I want to be just like you when I'm your age." Her smile got even wider as she said, "I love my job... this place just keeps me going."

Henry Van Dyke once said, "I shall grow old, but never lose life's zest; because the road's last turn will be the best." Because of the significant advances in cancer care, I feel my older years will definitely be my best. Thanks to the science of mammography, my cancer was a bump in the road; not a road block so huge that it ruined my life. It has, however, colored the way I view life, relationships, challenges, and just about everything. I see more beauty in the little things around me each day, and my sense of gratitude has reached a level I never knew before. In this sense, cancer has blessed my life.

As I left the doctor's office that day, I stopped for a moment and watched Jo as she shared her smile with each patient she signed in. She had such style! I then headed to face the challenges of the day, encouraged and determined to be more like Jo as I greeted my clients at the bank. I also hoped that when I am her age, I will still be going strong. I want the last turn of my life's road to definitely be the best!

-Kathy Christensen
Survivor
Member, Lifting Hearts

No comments:

Labels

15th (5) 5k (4) Abundance (1) Activity (3) Adversity (1) Advertising (1) Aerobics (1) After Cancer (3) Almonds (1) American Cancer Society (2) Angels (2) Anger (1) Apples (1) Art Journaling (1) Attitude (2) Back to Normal (2) Basic Cancer Information (1) Bath (1) Beans (1) Beauty (5) Becoming (3) Becoming Christlike (2) Being Happy (5) Being Nice (1) Beyond Cancer (1) Biking (1) Blessings (5) Blogging (3) Board (1) Books (3) Boots (1) Bosom Buddies (2) Bras (4) Bravery (1) Bread (3) Breakfast (4) Breast Cancer (7) Breast cancer awareness month (3) Breast Cancer Sisterhood (1) Breast Cancer Support (2) Breast Cancer Website (1) Breast Self Exam (7) Breathing (2) Brenda Coffee (4) Bucket List (1) Busy (3) Cake (1) Calendar items (1) Calm (2) Cancer (1) Cancer Deadline (1) Cancer Journey (28) Cancer Side Effects (5) Cancer Tips (4) Cancer Words (2) Carrots (1) Casts (1) Challenges (3) Changes (2) Character (6) Charity (1) Check Ups (1) Cheese (2) chemo (7) Chemo Blankets (1) Chemo Tips (1) Chicken (9) Children (2) Chocolate (4) Choices (2) Christmas (11) Cleaning (3) Colette Harris (2) Comfort (2) Compassion (2) Concert (2) Contentment (2) Contributing (2) Cookies (2) Coping (3) Cosmetics (2) Countdown (1) Courage (9) Curable (1) Dariy (1) DCIS (2) Death (4) Dedication (1) Desserts (5) Determination (2) Diagnosis (1) diet (1) Dips (2) Discipline (1) Doctors (2) Dr. Tittensor (2) Drinks (3) DVD (1) Dying (1) Eagle Project (1) Early Detection (1) Eating Out (1) Egg (1) Eggs (3) Emotional (1) Emotions (1) Encouragement (1) Enduring to the End (1) Energy (2) Enery (1) Enjoy (1) Enriching Lives (3) Events (1) Exercise (23) Exercise Equipment (2) Exercises (1) Expanders (1) Eye Pillows (1) Eyebrows (1) facebook (1) Faith (3) Family (5) Fathers (1) Fatigue (1) Fears (3) Feeling Better (1) Finances (1) Flowers (2) Food (1) Forbes Magazine Article (1) Fresh Start (1) Friday Fare (57) Friendship (4) Fruit (10) Fruits (4) Fundraising (5) Games (1) General (3) General Announcements (18) Generosity (1) gifts (3) Ginger Johnson (1) Give-aways (1) Giving (2) Goals (4) God (7) Good Day (1) Grace (1) Grains (2) Grandma (1) Gratitude (8) Greek (1) Green (1) Grief (2) Grilling (3) Growing (1) Guest Post (32) Guidelines (1) Hair Loss (7) Happiness (2) Happy Chemo (2) Happy Memories (2) Hats (2) Having Cancer (1) Healing (7) Healthy (4) Healthy Eating (21) Healthy Recipes (42) Healthy Tips (4) Heaven (1) Help (1) Helpful Products (3) Helpful Websites (15) Helping Others (10) Holidays (8) Home (1) Hope (6) Hope Chests (1) Hummus (1) Huntsman (1) Imperfection (1) Implants (1) Improving (1) Incredible Women (4) Inspiration (1) Integrity (1) Italian (1) Jewelry (3) Journaling (2) Joy (1) Kabobs (1) Kathy Christensen (90) Keeping Records (1) Kidney Beans (1) kids (1) Kindness (5) Komen (2) Lance Armstrong (2) Learning (1) Life Changing (1) Lifting Hearts (6) Lifting Hearts Birthday Party (2) Lifting Hearts in Utah (1) Lifting Hearts in Utah 5K (1) Listening (1) Livestrong (1) Look Good Feel Better (1) Loss (1) Love (11) Luau (2) Lunch (1) Lymphedema (1) Lymphedema Pillows (1) Mammograms (5) mastectomy (6) Medical Bills (1) Medications (1) Medicinal Side Effects (1) Meditation (1) Memories (1) Mentoring (4) Miche (2) Milk (1) Monday Memoirs (44) Monday Mentionables (12) Monday Motivation (29) Monday Musings (1) Motherhood (2) Mothers (1) Mountains for Mammograms (2) Mourning (1) Muscle Aches (1) Music (4) Nails (1) Nausea (1) New Year's Resolutions (2) News (2) Nighttime (1) Nioxin (1) Nordstroms (1) Norman Vincent Peale (1) Nurture Yourself (2) Nurturing Yourself (2) nutrition (1) Nuts (1) Nuture Yourself (1) Oatmeal (1) Obesity (1) October (2) Opportunities (1) Optimism (2) Organization (2) Pain (1) Pampering (2) Party (3) Pasta (8) Patience (5) Peace (4) Peace of Mind (1) Perfection (1) Persistence (1) Pictures (4) Pie (1) Pilates (2) Pink (10) Pink Planner (1) Play (1) Portion Control (1) Positive Thinking (2) Prayer (1) Pre-Cancer Self (1) Prevention (1) Privacy (1) Progression (1) Pumpkin (1) Purse (2) Quotes (4) Race (1) Rack Pack (2) Radiation (1) Reading (1) Recipe Re-Do (2) Recipes (1) reconstruction (4) Recovery (11) Recurrence (1) Reducing Your Risk (1) Reflection (4) Relax (5) Relief (1) Reminder (5) Research (1) Rest (1) Retreats (2) Rice (1) Rice Bags (1) Risk Factors (1) Running (3) Salad (9) Salmon (1) Sandwich (2) Sara Peck (1) Saturday Strength (18) Sausage (1) Scars (2) Schedule (1) Seasons (1) Self Breast Exam (1) Seniors (1) Service (9) Service Projects (6) Services and Programs (1) Sharing Wisdom (1) Shop (1) Sick (3) Side Dishes (1) Silence (1) Sister Survivors (4) Skin Care (3) Sleep (1) Slowing Down (5) Smell (1) Smoothie (2) Snacks (1) Song (1) Soreness (1) Soup (3) Soy (1) Spinach (2) Spiritual (1) Spiritual Health (1) Spiritual Values (1) Spotlight (2) Spring (2) Springtime Recipes (1) Starting Over (1) Stories (1) Storms (2) Strawberries (1) Strength (12) Strength Training (1) Stress (6) Stretching (1) Strong Saturday (6) Style (1) Super Foods (9) Support (11) Support Groups (7) Support Meetings (21) Surgery Tips (4) Survivors (15) Survivors Library (1) Swimming (1) Take Time (2) Talents (1) Tamoxifen (1) Temperance (1) Thankfulness (2) Thriving (1) Thursday Thoughts (123) Time (4) Tips (3) TLC (1) Toning (1) Tranquility (1) Treatments (1) Trials (3) Tuesday Tidings (56) Tuesday Tips (27) Turkey (2) Twitter (1) University of Utah (1) Utah (1) Values (1) Vegetarian (1) Veggies (18) Videos (5) Vitamins (1) Walking (9) Walmart (1) Water (3) Weathered (1) Website (1) Websites (1) Weight Lifting (2) Weight Loss (4) Wife (1) Wigs (1) Wisdom (1) Women's Expo (2) Wordless Wednesday (76) Work (1) Writing (1) Writing Your Cancer Story (30) Yard Sale (4) Zumba (1)