Monday, June 27, 2011

MONDAY MENTIONABLES - A Restorative Retreat

Why is it important to talk with other breast cancer survivors? Well, I've learned over the past year that there are times when I just simply need to talk things over with women who have been through what I've been through. And I've had that opportunity several times.

The most recent opportunity I had happened this past weekend. I was invited to go on a breast cancer retreat, put on by a wonderful non-profit group here is Utah, called Image Reborn. (Even though it is head-quartered here in Utah, I believe their retreats are open to anyone - check out the information on their website: imagerebornfoundation.org)

This particular retreat was for young survivors - those 45 years of age and younger. I just barely slipped in there at age 45 (and counting). I'm glad I was able to attend and talk to younger women - I can relate a little bit more with the issues in this age group.

Let me tell you how we were pampered this weekend...

The setting was lovely - a beautiful home in the mountains near Park City. The weather was perfect - warm and sunny during the day, with those cool Utah nights. Each morning, we woke to see hot air balloons in the sky.

We watched with fascination the family of deer in the back yard the first night. The home with just incredible.


The food was good - it was nice to not have to worry about cooking meals for 3 days! There was fruit, yogurt, and sweet breads for breakfast. Lunch in the restaurant at the clubhouse - we ate next to the beautiful pool!

Dinners included different veggie pizzas, and Chicken Tetrazzini (with green chili peppers - YUM!). We got super good deserts, and I had dark chocolate stashed in my room for late night cravings, of course. ;-)

The activities included 3 things I've never experienced before...

1. Facials. Yes, you read that right. I've never had a facial before. Now I'm completely hooked.

Having a facial is what I call being pampered. The feel, the smell, the relaxation! Oh my!

2. Art Journaling. I've always wanted to try this. I know the importance of journaling, especially through your cancer journey, and this is just an unusual (but fun) way of doing that.

I worked on just one page in my art journal. I focused on what I was thinking about at the time - that even though cancer changed me a lot, I'm still me. It was fun to decorate the page, using quotes, and images. I made a list of things I've lost and gain. This is what it said:
Kara... minus boobs, hair, nails, veins, lashes, brows, and stomach. Plus implants, rest, wrinkles, scars, and love. Eguals - ME. A few of the quotes I used:

To thine own self be true - Shakespeare
Dare to be remarkable - Jane Gentry
For a long time, she flew only when she thought no one else was watching - Brian Andreas
I am just too much - Bette Davis


3. Restorative Yoga. This is something I've always thought I should try, but I've been too scared to take a class. And I have no idea what I'm doing, so I didn't think I could do it at home. I'm so glad I learned this wonderful exercise.

It brought my body in tune with my spirit - it was just incredible. We learned how to breath deeply and slowly, how to focus on each part of our bodies. Some things were hard for me, but it was mostly just wonderful, and just what our teacher claimed it would be - restorative.

Those three things will change my life, I think. I'm glad I got to experience them.

The company was made up of survivors - there were six of us. I got to meet the most fabulous ladies.

Beth, Jeni, B-Jo, Tonya, and Marci. This is the main reason I think I went to the retreat. I wanted to meet other survivors, and just take time to talk about issues we all face. I learned so many things, and hopefully helped someone as well. It was good to network.


When I got home, there were some neighbors visiting my family. As I told them about the retreat, I tried to explain WHY I felt like I needed to attend. It's hard to pinpoint the exact reason. All I know is that I feel better physically, and emotionally. It was a good thing for me. Survivors are the most amazing people - I'm so glad I was able to meet these ladies. They helped me so much.

No comments:

Labels

15th (5) 5k (4) Abundance (1) Activity (3) Adversity (1) Advertising (1) Aerobics (1) After Cancer (3) Almonds (1) American Cancer Society (2) Angels (2) Anger (1) Apples (1) Art Journaling (1) Attitude (2) Back to Normal (2) Basic Cancer Information (1) Bath (1) Beans (1) Beauty (5) Becoming (3) Becoming Christlike (2) Being Happy (5) Being Nice (1) Beyond Cancer (1) Biking (1) Blessings (5) Blogging (3) Board (1) Books (3) Boots (1) Bosom Buddies (2) Bras (4) Bravery (1) Bread (3) Breakfast (4) Breast Cancer (7) Breast cancer awareness month (3) Breast Cancer Sisterhood (1) Breast Cancer Support (2) Breast Cancer Website (1) Breast Self Exam (7) Breathing (2) Brenda Coffee (4) Bucket List (1) Busy (3) Cake (1) Calendar items (1) Calm (2) Cancer (1) Cancer Deadline (1) Cancer Journey (28) Cancer Side Effects (5) Cancer Tips (4) Cancer Words (2) Carrots (1) Casts (1) Challenges (3) Changes (2) Character (6) Charity (1) Check Ups (1) Cheese (2) chemo (7) Chemo Blankets (1) Chemo Tips (1) Chicken (9) Children (2) Chocolate (4) Choices (2) Christmas (11) Cleaning (3) Colette Harris (2) Comfort (2) Compassion (2) Concert (2) Contentment (2) Contributing (2) Cookies (2) Coping (3) Cosmetics (2) Countdown (1) Courage (9) Curable (1) Dariy (1) DCIS (2) Death (4) Dedication (1) Desserts (5) Determination (2) Diagnosis (1) diet (1) Dips (2) Discipline (1) Doctors (2) Dr. Tittensor (2) Drinks (3) DVD (1) Dying (1) Eagle Project (1) Early Detection (1) Eating Out (1) Egg (1) Eggs (3) Emotional (1) Emotions (1) Encouragement (1) Enduring to the End (1) Energy (2) Enery (1) Enjoy (1) Enriching Lives (3) Events (1) Exercise (23) Exercise Equipment (2) Exercises (1) Expanders (1) Eye Pillows (1) Eyebrows (1) facebook (1) Faith (3) Family (5) Fathers (1) Fatigue (1) Fears (3) Feeling Better (1) Finances (1) Flowers (2) Food (1) Forbes Magazine Article (1) Fresh Start (1) Friday Fare (57) Friendship (4) Fruit (10) Fruits (4) Fundraising (5) Games (1) General (3) General Announcements (18) Generosity (1) gifts (3) Ginger Johnson (1) Give-aways (1) Giving (2) Goals (4) God (7) Good Day (1) Grace (1) Grains (2) Grandma (1) Gratitude (8) Greek (1) Green (1) Grief (2) Grilling (3) Growing (1) Guest Post (32) Guidelines (1) Hair Loss (7) Happiness (2) Happy Chemo (2) Happy Memories (2) Hats (2) Having Cancer (1) Healing (7) Healthy (4) Healthy Eating (21) Healthy Recipes (42) Healthy Tips (4) Heaven (1) Help (1) Helpful Products (3) Helpful Websites (15) Helping Others (10) Holidays (8) Home (1) Hope (6) Hope Chests (1) Hummus (1) Huntsman (1) Imperfection (1) Implants (1) Improving (1) Incredible Women (4) Inspiration (1) Integrity (1) Italian (1) Jewelry (3) Journaling (2) Joy (1) Kabobs (1) Kathy Christensen (90) Keeping Records (1) Kidney Beans (1) kids (1) Kindness (5) Komen (2) Lance Armstrong (2) Learning (1) Life Changing (1) Lifting Hearts (6) Lifting Hearts Birthday Party (2) Lifting Hearts in Utah (1) Lifting Hearts in Utah 5K (1) Listening (1) Livestrong (1) Look Good Feel Better (1) Loss (1) Love (11) Luau (2) Lunch (1) Lymphedema (1) Lymphedema Pillows (1) Mammograms (5) mastectomy (6) Medical Bills (1) Medications (1) Medicinal Side Effects (1) Meditation (1) Memories (1) Mentoring (4) Miche (2) Milk (1) Monday Memoirs (44) Monday Mentionables (12) Monday Motivation (29) Monday Musings (1) Motherhood (2) Mothers (1) Mountains for Mammograms (2) Mourning (1) Muscle Aches (1) Music (4) Nails (1) Nausea (1) New Year's Resolutions (2) News (2) Nighttime (1) Nioxin (1) Nordstroms (1) Norman Vincent Peale (1) Nurture Yourself (2) Nurturing Yourself (2) nutrition (1) Nuts (1) Nuture Yourself (1) Oatmeal (1) Obesity (1) October (2) Opportunities (1) Optimism (2) Organization (2) Pain (1) Pampering (2) Party (3) Pasta (8) Patience (5) Peace (4) Peace of Mind (1) Perfection (1) Persistence (1) Pictures (4) Pie (1) Pilates (2) Pink (10) Pink Planner (1) Play (1) Portion Control (1) Positive Thinking (2) Prayer (1) Pre-Cancer Self (1) Prevention (1) Privacy (1) Progression (1) Pumpkin (1) Purse (2) Quotes (4) Race (1) Rack Pack (2) Radiation (1) Reading (1) Recipe Re-Do (2) Recipes (1) reconstruction (4) Recovery (11) Recurrence (1) Reducing Your Risk (1) Reflection (4) Relax (5) Relief (1) Reminder (5) Research (1) Rest (1) Retreats (2) Rice (1) Rice Bags (1) Risk Factors (1) Running (3) Salad (9) Salmon (1) Sandwich (2) Sara Peck (1) Saturday Strength (18) Sausage (1) Scars (2) Schedule (1) Seasons (1) Self Breast Exam (1) Seniors (1) Service (9) Service Projects (6) Services and Programs (1) Sharing Wisdom (1) Shop (1) Sick (3) Side Dishes (1) Silence (1) Sister Survivors (4) Skin Care (3) Sleep (1) Slowing Down (5) Smell (1) Smoothie (2) Snacks (1) Song (1) Soreness (1) Soup (3) Soy (1) Spinach (2) Spiritual (1) Spiritual Health (1) Spiritual Values (1) Spotlight (2) Spring (2) Springtime Recipes (1) Starting Over (1) Stories (1) Storms (2) Strawberries (1) Strength (12) Strength Training (1) Stress (6) Stretching (1) Strong Saturday (6) Style (1) Super Foods (9) Support (11) Support Groups (7) Support Meetings (21) Surgery Tips (4) Survivors (15) Survivors Library (1) Swimming (1) Take Time (2) Talents (1) Tamoxifen (1) Temperance (1) Thankfulness (2) Thriving (1) Thursday Thoughts (123) Time (4) Tips (3) TLC (1) Toning (1) Tranquility (1) Treatments (1) Trials (3) Tuesday Tidings (56) Tuesday Tips (27) Turkey (2) Twitter (1) University of Utah (1) Utah (1) Values (1) Vegetarian (1) Veggies (18) Videos (5) Vitamins (1) Walking (9) Walmart (1) Water (3) Weathered (1) Website (1) Websites (1) Weight Lifting (2) Weight Loss (4) Wife (1) Wigs (1) Wisdom (1) Women's Expo (2) Wordless Wednesday (76) Work (1) Writing (1) Writing Your Cancer Story (30) Yard Sale (4) Zumba (1)